Family Health Team
What is a Family Health Team?
The Strathroy Medical Clinic is the pilot site for the Thames Valley Family Health Team. The Family Health Team model of care is a partnership with the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care to improve access and quality of health care services to patients.
The Thames Valley Family Health Team at the Strathroy Medical Clinic consists of doctors, registered nurses and other independent health care professionals (IHP’s) who work collaboratively, to give doctors support from other complementary professionals, so that you receive the very best care on a more timely basis.
To reach a specific department, please contact the following extensions:
Referrals: 519-245-0430 ext. 282
Business Office: 519-245-0430 ext. 265
Enquiries: Administration: Sue Lewis 519-245-0430 ext. 281
Family Health Team
Pharmacist: Tom Kontio, 519-245-0430 ext. 219
Social Worker: Karen Gilbert, 519-245-0430 ext. 224
Social Worker: Lisa Smith, 519-245-0430 ext. 220
Dietician: Carol Morgan
Triage RN: Cheryl McFadden
Triage RN: Sandra Ansems
Triage RN: Sandra Burton
Triage RN: Laura VanDam
Team Assistant: Laura Hueston
Nurse Practitioner: Dianna Cleland
Nurse Practitioner: Lindsay Huehn
More on Family Health Teams
Family Health Teams are patient-centered and you will have access to a number of primary health care services from a variety of team members, including your family doctor. For example:
- Your family doctor will continue to see you during regular office hours.
- You will have access to other independent health care professionals within the Family Health Team: registered triage nurses, nurse practitioner, mental health counsellors, dietitians and pharmacists, psychologists, chiropodist, addictions counsellor, etc.
- You will have access to a Family Health Team doctor during extended evening hours for urgent problems (see "Clinic Hours and Urgent Care Protocol").
- If you see another doctor, nurse practitioner or other independent health care professional that is part of our Family Health Team for treatment, your own family physician will receive documentation about the nature of your problem so that he or she will always be up-to-date about your medical condition.
- If you need assistance after-hours, you can telephone the Family Health Team Telephone Health Advisory Service (1.866.553.7205) where a registered nurse will provide advice about your urgent health care concerns. With your permission, your doctor will receive a written summary of your call the next day, so that your doctor is informed of the nature of the problem and the advice you received. Under this model, your doctor can follow up with you if required.
- The Family Health Team operates using the same information technology infrastructure (electronic medical records) to manage your health information and share it securely with other health professionals approved by your doctor.
For more information about Family Health Teams, visit the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care.